kvo
Mar 23 2005, 09:35 PM
I was wondering how course went about getting hole sponsors. I am very familiar with fundraising, I've done that as part of my past 3 jobs. My question is for a new course,
1. Do you go out before the course is in and ask for sponsorship?
2. Do you try to cover the cost of each basket and it's install?
3. Do you have better luck making a proposal with hole sponsors? I'm guessing yes but
4. How do you decide which hole is sponsored by who when it doesn't exsist?

Thanks

Mar 23 2005, 10:15 PM
First off, all donations are tax deductable. So it is important to present it in a way that the potential sponsor is aware that a tax write-off is in order. You will want to try and cover the cost to the fullest extent possible(i.e. concrete tees, signs, and baskets) with the sponsors. Which is not that much(500 per hole). The proposoal with or without sponsors depends on who you are presenting it to. Sponsors really don't matter if you aren't allowed the land on which to develop the course. As far as awarding the specific holes to specific sponsors, that is basically at the preference of the sponsor. Or if they have no preference, it is up to you. Hope this has been of some help. Give a shout out if you have any more Q's. Otherwise, I'lll see you saturday! :cool::D

idahojon
Mar 24 2005, 01:02 AM
First off, all donations are tax deductable. So it is important to present it in a way that the potential sponsor is aware that a tax write-off is in order...

First off, all donations are NOT tax deductible. Only donations to IRS recognized 501(c)3 charitable organizations and government entities are tax deductible. The PDGA and most clubs are NOT charitable organizations. The better way is to approach the potential sponsor with an advertising opportunity which can be used as a business expense.

Please don't put your club or the donor in the unenviable position of having to explain to an IRS Compliance Officer why they took a $500 deduction for a "Frisbee Golf Hole Sponsorship." See if the Parks Department is willing to set up a trust account that you can deposit sponsor monies into. That would keep you and the donors in the clear, most likely.

This is not legal advice. Just cautionary words from someone who's been through that maze before.

sweetdisc
Mar 24 2005, 10:28 AM
One way to get funding tax deductable is to contact the Disc Golf Foundation(DGF), they can set up so that the money your club raises can be donated to the DGF and then they can give you a grant to purchase baskets, etc. to put the course in, this way the donators can get a tax receipt.
For more info go to www.discgolffoundation.net (http://www.discgolffoundation.net) or email
[email protected] this is the email of the new DGF Director Ric Timmons.

Pizza God
Mar 26 2005, 06:14 PM
Actually you sell it as advertising. Advertizing IT tax deductible because it is an expence (cost of doing buisiness)

Not that big of a deal. That is how all my sponsorship checks are written off, as advertising.

Mar 26 2005, 09:32 PM
First off, all donations are NOT tax deductible. Only donations to IRS recognized 501(c)3 charitable organizations and government entities are tax deductible. The PDGA and most clubs are NOT charitable organizations. The better way is to approach the potential sponsor with an advertising opportunity which can be used as a business expense.

Minor point of clarification: while the PDGA is not a 501(c)(3) org, it is a tax-exempt non-profit (http://www.guidestar.org/controller/searchResults.gs?action_gsReport=1&npoId=100128789) (see also the Search for Charities (http://apps.irs.gov/portal/site/pub78/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.72f1796ad102792acd9e6be24937a759/?javax.portlet.tpst=289c57ca6035546c47564fe84937a7 59_ws_MX&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=token&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=token) page at the IRS website.)

Generally speaking, donations made to tax exempt non-profits are not deductible, however, donations made for strictly public, religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes may be deductible.