Jul 15 2005, 02:39 AM
Does anybody use sandpaper or anything else to remove the small burrs that develop around the rim of a used disc? Does it cause a lot of extra instability? I ask because smoothing the burrs would surely make the disc more comfortable in my hand.

Jul 15 2005, 02:52 AM
I'm not sure what the rules say about that; it sounds like a no-no. If so, the pro's will let you know. :)

discgolfreview
Jul 15 2005, 02:54 AM
15 of the 19 discs i carry in my tournament bag (which includes backups) are dx/d/s plastic and yes, i sand them when they get chunks taken out of them. the change in flight stability due to filing off burrs is gradual (compared to tacoing it and having to bend out the twists).

Jul 15 2005, 02:58 AM
Oops, guess I was wrong.

Jul 15 2005, 03:01 AM
If Blake gives the thumbs up then it must be ok! :cool:

gnduke
Jul 15 2005, 05:02 AM
802.01 - DISCS USED IN PLAY
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Buy the Book (http://www.pdgastore.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1060065761)

dehaas
Jul 15 2005, 05:16 AM
I've known people who have sanded nicks out of discs, but what I usually do is take a lighter to the nick, and remelt the plastic and try to mold it back into the disc as well as I can. I know more people who do this as opposed to sanding, and honestly I don't know the pdga legality of it (I carry those discs in tourneys but try not to use them) compared to sanding. It seems to me that you wouldn't lose as much stability heating the plastic up and molding it back into place versus sanding, but I could be wrong.

Jul 15 2005, 02:07 PM
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Buy the Book (http://www.pdgastore.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1060065761)

Can you do this in a round? I had someone tell me once you could not alter your disc during a round. Granted this was non-competitive but he told me not to do it in a tournament. All I was doing was taking a fresh nick my Roc just acquired off.

TIA

Jul 15 2005, 02:40 PM
I've known people who have sanded nicks out of discs, but what I usually do is take a lighter to the nick, and remelt the plastic and try to mold it back into the disc as well as I can. I know more people who do this as opposed to sanding, and honestly I don't know the pdga legality of it (I carry those discs in tourneys but try not to use them) compared to sanding. It seems to me that you wouldn't lose as much stability heating the plastic up and molding it back into place versus sanding, but I could be wrong.

I'm not real sure of the legality of using a lighter either , but know plenty of people who do it. Seems to me that if you're just trying to get the disc closer to its original condition, it should be fine. I agree that this would keep the disc more stable vs. sanding because if you have a really big gouge, you have to take off a lot of material to get it smooth. Conversely, if you take a lighter and melt half of the rim away to make it like an Epic, that would be illegal.

Another question related to the rule previously stated. If I have a black disc, and I want to make a light pass with some orange spraypaint so I can find it easier, would that be OK?

Jul 15 2005, 02:52 PM
I believe paint is illegal, but you could use a sharpie

discgolfreview
Jul 15 2005, 03:38 PM
a lighter is using artificial heat to alter the plastic... generally frowned upon but if you do it in the privacy of your own home it's doubtful that anyone will ever question it or not :P

as for sanding during a round, i'm guessing it is fine since the first time i saw anyone do it was watching the 2000 pdga worlds video final 9 round.

Jul 15 2005, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE]
C...... Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

A light pass with some spraypaint couldn't be considered excessive or a detectable thickness could it?

gnduke
Jul 15 2005, 07:29 PM
Any paint that adheres to the surface of the disc should be of a detectable thickness. If you can run a fingernail along the surface and feel the paint, it is detectable.

quickdisc
Jul 15 2005, 08:15 PM
What about taking a Lighter and melting it back ?

gnduke
Jul 15 2005, 08:28 PM
I can't find any mention of heat in the rules. It really comes down to the purpose. If you are repairing damage done to the disc, it should be OK.

Unless you are repairing a perforation or crack in the flight plane. :)

If you are trying to modify flight characteristics, it would be against the rule.