terrycalhoun
Aug 13 2007, 12:43 PM
This is utterly cool. (http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070812/NEWS01/708120329/1002)

"Flying plastic orbs took the place of golf balls, and players took aim at metal baskets rather than grassy greens and holes Saturday, the opening day of a special disc golf course at Ashe Lake.

Officials made speeches and cut ribbons, welcoming in the area's first handicapped-accessible disc golf course - and possibly the first in the nation.

Accessibility and striving for equal opportunities for everyone, including people challenged physically, is nothing new for the Hattiesburg area."

exczar
Aug 13 2007, 12:50 PM
There was a 9 hole course installed in the Little Rock, AR area in the mid 1980s specifically for wheelchair access. Most of the fairways were paved. I played it, but I can't recall any details.

billmh
Aug 13 2007, 03:01 PM
Wonderful indeed. Thanks to all who so creatively gave of their efforts to make it come to pass.

NOHalfFastPull
Aug 13 2007, 07:35 PM
Terry C

Many thanks for bringing this fine park to the attention of the nation.
Shane Seal has done a wonderful job designing this little course with graduated levels of difficulty through 9 holes.
I am proud to call Shane a friend and he has made a big difference in the Disc Golf experience in our region.
Also, on the same property of Ashe Lake is a new 18 hole championship course.
I have been lucky enough to have played it 2 times and a winter tourney is in the plans.

We all remember the excitement of our first good drive or first long putt that stayed in the basket. Let us all work to introduce this sport to everyone that will listen.

thanks for all you do, Terry

steve timm
NOTeam