dionarlyn
Feb 12 2008, 04:05 AM
There have been some good arguments both for and against the notion that there should be a limit to the number of discs alotted during a round. I am curious to know where people stand on the issue. Personally I am against the idea, in that it only affects those who carry many discs, and favors those who carry less.

You can choose up to two options.

discchucker
Feb 12 2008, 09:10 AM
In making the ball golf comparison...players are allowed to carry 14 clubs in their bags during competition. So, to me limiting the amount of disc's one can carry in their bag during competition would make sense too. Now, the question would then become, what is the ideal number? 15...20...25..or somewhere in between these numbers? I like the idea of limiting the number of discs. If I had to pick a number, I would say that 18 is a good limit. Myself, I carry 15.

jtkustomizer
Feb 12 2008, 09:49 AM
I say there sould not be a limit because they will never start testing discs anyways. But If they do start a limit it should be no more than 25. I say 25 because I carry 24 in my Kong bag. The only bags that I know that carry more than 25 would be the Discarrier and the Revo Backpack.

Let people decide on their own if they want to carry that much weight. This should not be a political issue...only personal choice.

Just for curiosity I weighed my bag this morning and it weights 19.5 pounds full of discs and thats with the 2-32oz gatorades. Without the gatorades it weights 15 pounds. So during the course of a round my bag gets lighter by 4.5 pounds.

eveidel
Feb 12 2008, 10:28 AM
Your bag gets lighter, but you don't?...where do you think the gatorade goes? All you did was transfer weight! haha

jtkustomizer
Feb 12 2008, 11:30 AM
Your bag gets lighter, but you don't?...where do you think the gatorade goes? All you did was transfer weight! haha

I know where it goes....In one hole and out the other.

I dont notice the weight going in or out. Just the weight of the bag geting lighter. That was my point. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chuckles
Feb 12 2008, 11:34 AM
In making the ball golf comparison...players are allowed to carry 14 clubs in their bags during competition. So, to me limiting the amount of disc's one can carry in their bag during competition would make sense too. Now, the question would then become, what is the ideal number? 15...20...25..or somewhere in between these numbers? I like the idea of limiting the number of discs. If I had to pick a number, I would say that 18 is a good limit. Myself, I carry 15.

The reason for the club limit in ball golf is to force players to create shots with the clubs they have otherwise guys would carry 8 wedges, 3 drivers, etc. In disc golf, they do the same but some players carry multiples of the same disc in case they lose a disc during the round. Carrying lots of discs does not give an advantage to a player only hurts them because of the extra weight they are carrying.

flyboy
Feb 12 2008, 11:54 AM
14 like golf.Choose your weapons before you go to war.I did use the 14 disc rule at most of my events on golf courses.When at the golf courses ,during an event, golfers would ask lots of questions, and one of them was, how many discs can you carry ,we would reply 14 then the golfer would reply oh just like the amount of clubs we are allowed.If caught with more ,it would be a 1 stroke penealty, per discs over the limit.I remember in st louis Tod Branch quit after leading after 12 holes because he threw most of his discs in the water and did not have many to play with....

S_Wells
Feb 12 2008, 12:06 PM
This is a silly notion. Golfers do not throw their clubs towards the hole as the shot. Our disc doubles as both our club and our ball. A golfer may carry as many balls in their bag as they like. If a disc golfer wants to roll a cart around the course with 100 disc in it... I don't care. Why do you?

Feb 12 2008, 12:12 PM
I could go either way with this idea, I don't EVER carry more than 8-10 discs, even at the Memorial, so it wouldn't affect me at all. But I'm for freedom of choice, so if someone uses a ton of backups as a security blanket, that's fine with me, I don't have to lug that weight around. I would be interested in playing a tournament where there was a limit on the amount of discs, it would force people to carefully choose their line up.

johnrock
Feb 12 2008, 12:19 PM
Through all of these threads I still haven't read any really good reasons for a limit.

What I've read:
1) Only 14 discs because that's what ball golf does
2) 25 discs because we need more for back-ups
3) We need a limit because it will take too long to test with no limit
4) ???

Am I missing some?

1) Why 14 clubs? How did the USGA come to that number for a limit? If it's to force people to make shots with less equipment, why not just 3 clubs (driver, iron, putter)?

2) Does anyone normally throw 20+ discs in the water during one round? I say normally because there will be some instances like at the USDGC when the guy threw a bunch of discs on Hole #17, but really, how often does that situation arise?

3) Testing? Man, that's a stretch. Sure, it may happen in the future, but when it does get implemented, the players that will be tested are going to realize what they will be missing if they use illegal equipment, and they will go the extra mile to make sure their own gear is acceptable.

20460chase
Feb 12 2008, 01:02 PM
I havent bothered to read any of either thread, because I think its a waste of time, but do think the rim size limits is a better debate.

Who cares if someone else has more discs? How well they can throw them is my concern.

Drew32
Feb 12 2008, 01:21 PM
I still don't understand what would warrent someone to want to limit the # of discs others carry.
I saw something about testing. Is this testing for legal discs?
Right now I carry 19 discs, of which @5 are extra putters and drivers. I could go down to 14 but whats the point.
If its about the whole testing thing and you are so concerned call out the offender to the TD and let the TD handle it. Limiting the # of discs he/she will have to check won't make a difference in time.
Starting a line at the beginning of the tournament to "test" discs will only [censored] off people who want to get the game on and put off people on playing tournaments due to delays prior to the start of the round. :p

jtkustomizer
Feb 12 2008, 02:00 PM
As far as testing goes if you play with the same discs all the time the Supervising testor should be able to put a special mark on the disc so that the next time testing does come around they see the special mark and discs doesnt need tested again. This mark should be on the inside rim IMO.

accidentalROLLER
Feb 12 2008, 02:20 PM
As far as testing goes if you play with the same discs all the time the Supervising testor should be able to put a special mark on the disc so that the next time testing does come around they see the special mark and discs doesnt need tested again. This mark should be on the inside rim IMO.

Yeah.....something like a seal of approval.....that should have the PDGA's name on it.....oh, wait.

Here's another thought. Why should the PDGA have to double-check the manufacturers? If a disc can absorb up to 3 grams after molding, guess what, make max weight discs 3 grams lighter! Otherwise, if a manufacturer puts "PDGA Approved" on a disc that is illegal, they should face fines.
If I buy a product marketed and labeled as "zero carbs" or "lead-free", it better not have those in them or I won't be buying their product anymore. Notwithstanding any laws they may be violating.

dionarlyn
Feb 12 2008, 04:14 PM
So it seams to me like a limit is a waste of time, CASE CLOSED!

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 04:22 PM
Golf clubs are not easily lost. There is not a limit on how many balls you can carry is there? I

johnbiscoe
Feb 12 2008, 04:27 PM
Through all of these threads I still haven't read any really good reasons for a limit.

true that.

woote01
Feb 12 2008, 04:28 PM

I would like to see limits on the number of disc. But I come from a golf background and see the real reason why this would be beneficial. As our our sport grows as will the rules to level or even the playing field.

rollinghedge
Feb 12 2008, 04:36 PM
There is not a limit on how many balls you can carry is there?

Nope, but IIRC you can't switch balls during a hole unless it's lost or damaged.

dionarlyn
Feb 12 2008, 04:38 PM
There is not a limit on how many balls you can carry is there?

Nope, but you can't switch balls during a hole unless it's lost or damaged IIRC.

So what you're saying is: there is no reason to compare ball golf with disc golf and any of these pre-concieved notions of limits aren't applicable to our sport...interesting.

rollinghedge
Feb 12 2008, 04:39 PM
Huh?

ck34
Feb 12 2008, 04:46 PM
Here's an article on the original announcement for the 14 club limit instituted by ball golf in 1938 and their reasoning. Not sure it's valid for us although I stand by my earlier comment regarding a limit being set in the future only when caddies are involved such that they are not required to carry more than X discs. If the player is carrying and not allowed to use a pull cart, they could carry as many as they wish.

"At its annual meeting last year, the Executive Committee of the U. S. Golf Association viewed with alarm the "growing increase in the number of clubs." Last week, what U. S. golfers have been expecting ever since arrived in the form of an announcement: "The preambles to the Rules of Golf have been amended, to read as follows: 'The game of golf consists in a ball being played from the teeing ground into the hole by successive strokes, with clubs (not exceeding 14 in number). . . .'" The new rule will go into effect Jan. 1, 1938.

From its obscure beginnings, when the only club was a shepherd's crook, to the present, when most experts and more nonexperts carry golf bags equipped with everything except an icebox, the history of golf has been partly the history of the elaboration of its implements. Famed Charles ("Chick") Evans, when he won the U. S. Open in 1916, carried only seven clubs. Last summer, Open Champion Tony Manero carried 19, Amateur Champion Johnny Fischer 17.

In last week's announcement, first reason advanced for the amendment was that "The Committee felt that a multiplicity of clubs tended toward mechanization. . . . It was1 felt that . . . players should not buy their shots in the professional's shop. . . ." Corollary reasons were: 1) relief to caddies; 2) reduction of delays in play; 3) equalizing conditions between players who can afford an unlimited supply of clubs and those who cannot.

U. S. golfers last week applauded the new rule. Sporting-goods stores politely deplored it. Not the least extraordinary reaction came from Great Britain, where few golfers ever carry 14 clubs. The Rules of Golf Committee of the Royal and Ancient Club of St. Andrews, announced it would recommend a similar amendment at the general meeting of the club next May."

lien83
Feb 12 2008, 05:10 PM
hmmm...kinda silly since we are throwing our discs and have a chance to lose them. Do we limit the amount of golf balls that they carry in their bag? No b/c if they lose them they have many back-ups...

We try to hard to correlate everything from ball golf to disc golf and they just aren't the same...

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 06:47 PM
hmmm...kinda silly since we are throwing our discs and have a chance to lose them. Do we limit the amount of golf balls that they carry in their bag? No b/c if they lose them they have many back-ups...

We try to hard to correlate everything from ball golf to disc golf and they just aren't the same...

Exactly, IMO discs are more correlated to balls.

Greatzky2
Feb 12 2008, 06:57 PM
This is said.. The first 2 posts that were FOR a limit were the Saddest opinions ever. If you notice the stated number was Higher than their current disc count, but not much. This is ridiculously biased way to look at this concept.
"i think it should be 18 because i carry 15." That just works out great for you, but what about the person who carries 20 and thinks it should be 22? or what about the person who carries 4 and thinks it should be 4?

If you are going to pick a number at least look past yourselves first.

and for whoever runs all of their events with a 14 disc limit.. I hope you don't start running events in my area.

I personally carry 12 discs, but I am completely against a limit on discs as there is no advantage from carrying more discs at all. It's usually more beneficial for a majority of the players to carry less discs than to carry more.

-Scott Lewis

p.s. Chuck: I understand your idea for disc limitation, but I still don't even understand what the point would be at all? There is no rule to begin with and since the game isn't getting "unfair" or "crazy" because of players carrying too many discs, Then why do you feel that not only does there need to be a possible rule, but that you are justified in making it?
Also, Disc golf doesn't require caddies and last time I checked players could caddy for themselves even in top level events. Anyone who is a caddy would then be getting paid or volunteering... what difference does it make what amount of discs they are carrying for the player? I just don't understand why the reason for even considering a rule for this.
And is there possible talk about limiting players from using Pull carts? I just don't know where that came from, but this whole idea of disc limitations with exceptions is a little weird to me.

ck34
Feb 12 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm not saying there should be a rule regarding caddies. But if there ever were, it would be the only justification for a disc limit I could see. Chances are it will never happen. But if a big sponsor for $1 million said we'd like to see all players with hired caddies, I can see a limit just based on workers comp liability for the caddies if no other reason.

Greatzky2
Feb 12 2008, 07:32 PM
good call and good point. That's the only reason I was asking because I wasn't sure if such a thing were actually in the works or not. Thx for the speedy reply.

-Scott Lewis

reallybadputter
Feb 12 2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not saying there should be a rule regarding caddies. But if there ever were, it would be the only justification for a disc limit I could see. Chances are it will never happen. But if a big sponsor for $1 million said we'd like to see all players with hired caddies, I can see a limit just based on workers comp liability for the caddies if no other reason.

Right... because carrying 60 discs at 200g each (or 75 at 175g each) + 2 quarts water + a 10 pound bag with everything else included is 40 pounds and that's really a workers comp concern how?

What does your average PGA pro's bag weigh? My ball golf bag that is meant for walking players weighs 28 pounds when you add shoes to it and a soft travel case and I go to check it in at the airport... What does Tiger's bag weigh?

jtkustomizer
Feb 12 2008, 09:26 PM
Could people PLEASE quit referencing Ball Golf!!!!!!! That is a Totally different sport than what we are playing and we should try to put Our sport on a whole different level. Because if we dont break away we might as well start swinging clubs @ our discs do get them to fly!!!

This is the PDGA not the PGA and who gives a flying frick about ball golf anyways. We are Discers and LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY.

reallybadputter
Feb 12 2008, 09:57 PM
OK... fine.

Sherpas summiting Everest carry 60+ pounds at 27,000 feet.

Why is a disc golf caddy carrying 40 lbs a total of 4 miles over 7 hours (two rounds on a 10000 ft course including walks between tees) a worker's comp issue?

gdstour
Feb 12 2008, 10:01 PM

94 responses out of 12,000 members and I'm guessing less than 10% of those who have responded are rated above 1000,,,, and the Case is closed??

Start another poll and ask the same players if they think there should be disc testing at the highest level of competition.

Players who do not want their discs tested will also not want a limit, I think it goes hand in hand.

What is being said by a group of " competitors" who are against having their equipment checked.

Just for fun try these polls with the members:
( remember this is just for fun and not my beliefs)

Should people get a ticket for rolling a stop sign?

How about driving 5 MPH over the speed limit.

How about possession of a few grams of bud?

How about taxes, who wants to eliminate them??

Here's a question for school kids: who wants to go to school tomorrow?

I think we have done a great job of masking the fact that this organization and disc golf in general has a lot of non conforming anti-establishment types, Heck I am one of them, but that doesn't mean I don't see a need for a few more rules to help pave the way for the future of our sport!
just a thought :confused:

reallybadputter
Feb 12 2008, 10:19 PM
Go ahead. Test my discs. But I don't want a limit. If you think carrying 67 discs will make you better on a 95 degree 85% humidity day, be my guest...

Only 1000+ rated players are allowed to answer polls when there are how many 1000+ rated players? How many < 1000 rated players?

Well, guess what? Your opinion doesn't count Dave... your rating isn't above 1000 so who cares what you think?

I'm kidding!!!!!

I agree it isn't case closed... but I don't see how any rational limit on discs helps much with your current holy grail of testing at tournaments. Even with 10 disc limits, it takes 10 seconds put a disc on a balance and to let the balance equilibrate per disc... with a 72 player field that's two hours of testing to test the whole field if you have one setup and everyone is early and wants to wait in line and there are no delays...

Good luck at a tourney held between September 1 and March 31... you just don't have the daylight to get two rounds in anymore. Who wants to be at a 10 AM start at 7AM to check in their bag?

Maybe in the majors with tee times, but then you have staggered arrivals and you don't need much of a limit anymore.

How about proposing random testing? It works for drugs if it happens often enough... Knowing that 5 or 10 of your discs will get pulled and you will get 2 strokes per illegal plus you can't use it will cause players to think twice... Just a thought.

bcoxxx
Feb 12 2008, 10:57 PM
are PGA golfers limited in the number of balls they can carry? do they throw their clubs over water, into thick woods, or high into trees?

gdstour
Feb 12 2008, 11:04 PM
I agree it isn't case closed... but I don't see how any rational limit on discs helps much with your current holy grail of testing at tournaments. Even with 10 disc limits, it takes 10 seconds put a disc on a balance and to let the balance equilibrate per disc... with a 72 player field that's two hours of testing to test the whole field if you have one setup and everyone is early and wants to wait in line and there are no delays...

My goal for testing has little to do with weight.
Its about non conforming discs.

I am against the flex rule as it is currently written, because there is no practical way to test for this at events.
As I have said, a few grams here or there is no big deal, but 4% rim depth <2.7 wing length and >21 cm diameter is going to be a problem in the future.

In case you are not aware the PDGA wants all variations sent in for testing.
In all reality, the only thing that a disc needs to be is conforming.
This is regardless if it is on the pdga approved list or not.
It is easy enough to get a disc approved and than change the shape later on without sending it back in.
Who is to say that it is a different mold or just different plastic???

There is so much more going on to the rules and enforcing them threads than meets the eye.

If we do plan on testing a limit will be in order.

I like the part in chucks post about some players having more money than others and buying themselves a better game.

The pdga Board should discuss this when the rules of enforcement are reviewed.
This is a fairly good reason for limiting the amount of discs and one I have never considered.

Like it or not disc golf is like Ball golf and getting closer each and everyday. After all, we using the word GOLF for our governing body, its what the G stands for in pdga :D:D

Greatzky2
Feb 12 2008, 11:56 PM
I am actually for getting discs tested at the highest levels of competition. I would be for that even at any PDGA sanctioned level tournament.
that would mean those 2 theories don't go hand in hand for me. Testing could already be justified in the current ruling of the game in which you have to play only PDGA approved discs. That would mean a player would technically be able to ask you what each disc that you throw in order to make sure they are all legal. You could skip that process and allow testing before the tournament..

Something that would be similar is that I wouldn't need to put either of these ideas into any sort of rule. Just sounds like making answers to problems that don't exist.

-Scott Lewis

rollinghedge
Feb 13 2008, 01:08 AM
Instead of testing discs, how about drug testing the players? That would be far more interesting and important.

kjellispv
Feb 13 2008, 01:40 AM
Instead of testing the discs at a tournament i think the companies should not be able to sell a disc with a pdga approved stamp on it unless it meets the requirements... Companies shouldnt turn-out illegal discs, and if so it should get a non-pdga approved stamp... And how much of an advantage is gained from an illegal disc?

dionarlyn
Feb 13 2008, 02:48 AM
Instead of testing discs, how about drug testing the players? That would be far more interesting and important.

Amen!

One of the reasons that limiting discs doesn't seem neccessary to me would be this simple reason: No matter how many I have, the only thing that matters is how well I throw them.

Here is an interesting spin...what if everyone was required to throw a certain number of discs each round. Lets say that the limit to discs is X, but you can't use a certain disc off the tee more than X times a round - what would you folks say that only carry so many drivers. Your old trusty teebird can only be used three times a round instead of every tee shot, is that fair? What if we required folks to carry exactly 25 discs to level the playing field, all those folks who carry ten discs now have to carry extras because we don't want them to have a weight advantage...

It doesn't hold water either direction you spin it.

I support testing and would love to have all my discs conform, all I ask is that I can carry as many of them on the course with me as I see fit.

Dion Arlyn

krazyeye
Feb 13 2008, 03:03 AM
golf clap, clap, clap, clap. I think that nails it.

davidbihl
Feb 13 2008, 04:52 AM
I like the part in chucks post about some players having more money than others and buying themselves a better game.

This is a fairly good reason for limiting the amount of discs and one I have never considered.

Like it or not disc golf is like Ball golf and getting closer each and everyday. After all, we using the word GOLF for our governing body, its what the G stands for in pdga :D:D

[/QUOTE]

While I respectfully disagree with your opinion on limiting the number of discs one can carry, I see your points and they are valid. While I do disagree, I also find it somewhat ironic that a disc manufacturer would want to limit the number of disc one can carry. It seems maybe you would want to make a "Minuimum amount carried" and set it at about 50 and oh yeah, they must be 70 percent gateway!!"

acerun06
Feb 13 2008, 07:59 AM
I am in the camp that we shouldn't try to mimic ball golf as much as we can. There are just to many differences. The reason the name golf is appropriate in disc golf is because the basic rules of progressing toward a target and scoring are roughly the same.

I only carry 14-15 discs, but I have no problem with there not being a limit. I don't play ball golf but as far as I know the different clubs are basically for different distances only, not for making the ball finish left or right. There is only 1 type of swing so you don't have different clubs for a thumber or sidearm.

Because the name golf is in the PDGA it's easy to get carried away and think the end goal is to become the PGA but it's not.

chuckles
Feb 13 2008, 10:30 AM

Good luck at a tourney held between September 1 and March 31... you just don't have the daylight to get two rounds in anymore. Who wants to be at a 10 AM start at 7AM to check in their bag?

Maybe in the majors with tee times, but then you have staggered arrivals and you don't need much of a limit anymore.

How about proposing random testing? It works for drugs if it happens often enough... Knowing that 5 or 10 of your discs will get pulled and you will get 2 strokes per illegal plus you can't use it will cause players to think twice... Just a thought.

[/QUOTE]
Here is a thought to solve the time constriants. Let's take something from NASCAR and turn in your bag the day before after your test are complete and you will get your bag back the morning of the tourney. Your pit crew can't tinker with it to get an advantage. Get er' Done!!!!! :cool:

Feb 13 2008, 11:17 AM
the player that throws a post production modified disc is probably not at the top levals of competition.Therefor the disc should be within the guidlines set before they leave the manufacturer,including the potential gains due to inclimate weather. no need for tests post production/or/post consumer possesion as long as disc makers make discs properly.

kjellispv
Feb 13 2008, 01:02 PM
Do they test for illegal clubs and or balls in ball golf???

poisonelf
Feb 13 2008, 01:03 PM
Who cares. The whole reason the weight limit was even included in standards was for safty reasons not because it makes a disc better. I've had buzzzs that were over 190g and they sucked cause they were basically a really short wasp (if i wanted a wasp i'd throw a wasp). Just the plain and simple facts about an over weight disc...they are much shorter, lack the glide of there lighter counter part and tend to hyzer much earlier (just what i need a firebird/sidewinder).

Greatzky2
Feb 13 2008, 04:14 PM
panther: they do both in the PGA, but that is because their clubs have to meet certain size and club groove requirements.

I can see a reason for testing discs, but I don't see a way to make it time effective. I definitely don't believe in limiting discs though.

-Scott Lewis

gdstour
Feb 13 2008, 05:55 PM

While I respectfully disagree with your opinion on limiting the number of discs one can carry, I see your points and they are valid. While I do disagree, I also find it somewhat ironic that a disc manufacturer would want to limit the number of disc one can carry. It seems maybe you would want to make a "Minimum amount carried" and set it at about 50 and oh yeah, they must be 70 percent gateway!!"

[/QUOTE]

Seems ironic huh?
Why would a disc manufacturer want a limit on how many disc's a player can carry.
Must be a pretty good reason or reason's.
1) is of course testing and only at the highest level of competition.

2)Make sure those with more money to spend do not have an advantage.

3) possibly to add some more strategy to the game.

4) I really cant see how a limit at 25 discs would actually hurt a player.

5) I understand the disc is not a club it is more like the ball, but to legitimized the sport a line must be drawn in many areas and the amount of discs a player can carry should probably be one of them.

Most of my posts outside of the threads directly associated with Gateway products are as a player.
Hopefully I still have the option to post my opinion as a player when I choose to ( even if my rating has slipped over the years) ;)

Maybe I should post with 2 different user names to clear the air! :confused:

johnbiscoe
Feb 13 2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe I should post with 2 different user names to clear the air! :confused:

good idea.

JWI
Feb 13 2008, 08:11 PM
When considering one solitary word in a statement, think of this:
If my nine-year-old daughter is having a BOWL of cereal for breakfast, should I be concerned she's lighting up? No, even though a "bowl" can be used for such. So, just because the word "golf" is in two organizations' titles does not necessarily mean they are overly comparable.

cbear
Feb 13 2008, 08:36 PM
When considering one solitary word in a statement, think of this:
If my nine-year-old daughter is having a BOWL of cereal for breakfast, should I be concerned she's lighting up? No, even though a "bowl" can be used for such. So, just because the word "golf" is in two organizations' titles does not necessarily mean they are overly comparable.

That was a horrible analogy! Is cereal code for something too? So dumb...

ck34
Feb 13 2008, 08:43 PM
Cereal killer > Pop Tart

krupicka
Feb 14 2008, 10:01 AM
And if Pop Tart > Britney Spears...

davidbihl
Feb 14 2008, 10:55 AM
I still can't see any good reason to limit the number of discs one can carry. Seems like of waste of paper in the rule book to me.

S_Wells
Feb 14 2008, 11:04 AM
Tree killers

superberry
Feb 14 2008, 12:21 PM
NO MORE RULES. Makes the game that much less enjoyable. However, I am all for a few X-tier events throughout the year which force players to play with a limited selection. e.g. 1 driver, 1 mid, 1 putter.

crgadyk
Feb 14 2008, 01:59 PM
Why not just test the top x number of players in National tour events. After the last round they walk straight off the course to a testing area. If they have discs in their bags that are illegal to use, access penalty strokes at that point. People could potentially lose money after dropping strokes which would keep most people honest.

I know at a local race track here they pull all top 3 cars into a special area of the pits and check then for compression ratios, weight, etc and they can be disqualified if caught cheating.

Just a thought, it would make it so that not everyone would have to be tested.

gdstour
Feb 14 2008, 02:37 PM
Do they test for illegal clubs and or balls in ball golf???

After a few minutes trying to find some online information on what actually gets checked at the first tee at a PGA event, I found a very relevant Blog.
I was quiet surprised to see the USGA may be in a similar situation as us.

here is a paragraph or 2 from a blog written by a past official of the pga:
"The Rules of Golf are dear to me, having been recognized as achieving the highest level of rating at a PGA/USGA Rules Workshop years ago. I also served on the Rules Committees at a couple of major PGA championships. I always made playing by the Rules a priority at the clubs I served as golf professional by holding Rules clinics and preparing quizzes to enhance my members� knowledge of the Rules. After all, during our club tournaments and everyday casual play, as golf professional, I was expected to be the Rules authority when situations arose that determined results of matches or for a friendly bet."
" The problem is also enforcement. Who is supposed to enforce the Rules? The USGA states that it is the responsibility of the player to carry clubs that conform to the Rules of Golf. Really? Do you think Joe Golfer is checking the non-conforming list on the USGA website every Monday morning when it is updated?

The proliferation of so many clubs being available globally makes it almost impossible for golfers to know if their clubs conform to the Rules of Golf. When golfers buy new clubs they rightfully expect them to be conforming. The only way to enforce equipment Rules is to have individual clubs tested and then marked in some fashion as conforming. Yes, that would be a monumental task. So don�t expect it to be done any time soon."
"The Rules of Golf clearly states in Rule 4, 1a, that the player must play with clubs which conform to the Rules and that failure to do so will result in disqualification. At the same time, the USGA makes it the responsibility of the player to ensure that his clubs conform. But how is the player to know?"

This last comment sounds so familiar.
I don't claim to have the answers but I do foresee a problem ahead for the PDGA and apparently so does the USGA.

Fortunately for the PDGA, we can learn quite a bit here from an organization that is probably going to spend millions of dollars to help assure players are all playing by the same rules. Hopefully their solution will not be an expensive one to institute and well worth the time to keep an eye on over the next few years!

I'm still looking for how and what actually gets checked at a PGA event. Most of the information out there is for USGA not PGA.

here is the link to the entire blog.
http://www.clubrepairnews.com/2007/august/editor-rules-authority.html

c_trotter
Feb 14 2008, 04:24 PM
On the PGA tour, I have heard of one player questioning whether another player was using a driver that was "hot". The PGA then tested the driver in question. Im also pretty sure that PGA tour players have access to equipment that can tell them whether their driver meets USGA specs.

If I was to question whether some other player's disc was illegal, would I be able to have it tested after the round? If so, what penalty would be involved if someone was found to be using an illegal disc?

I think worrying about how many discs a player is allowed to carry is not a priority.

Feb 14 2008, 10:19 PM
Why are we trying to compare Disc Golf equipment to Ball Golf equipment? We use one item, a disc, to get down the fairway. In ball golf, they use a ball and different clubs, two items together. If we throw a disc in the water it's gone (most likely). If a ball golfer hits his ball in the water it's gone too, but he doesn't loose his club. If your disc cracks it's useless. If a ball is f-ed up it's useless to the golfer, but the golfer still has his club he can use. What I'm trying to illustrate is the circumstances are different.
The objective of the 2 sports are the same: complete the hole in the fewest amount of strokes/ throws. The physics, mechanics & equipment are totally different.
I truly feel every time we try to make disc golf more like ball golf we confuse eachother and the rules even more.
Why would we try to conform to a ball golf rule when the game's equipment is so different? We need to concentrate on on more important issues.

ck34
Feb 14 2008, 10:31 PM
This topic is limited to posturing on this D-Board since no serious discussion or interest seems to have surfaced among anyone in a position to impose or change any rules in this area. I doubt it's on anyone's long range To-do list compared to other priorities for the future. Likewise, no action seems to be brewing in the wings regarding weighing discs in some formal manner except for the Japan Open. Anyone can ask that a disc to be measured per the rules. But if the TD can't do the measurement, doesn't seem likely anything would happen.

flyboy
Feb 15 2008, 12:55 PM
Follow success and success will follow... We are now on thier turf ,like a snowboarder, to a ski slope.We are being watched from the outside, and what you see, is what you get..This is the big picture , sponsership ,spectators, and TV..Our sport will end up on a golf course ,for major events.We will always have our parks to have fun ...Every major sport has a venue to SHOWCASE thier athelets..The decision to throw, or roll your disc in the water was yours, not the water, it was there before you threw.In golf, it is called a layup..You must weigh the risk ,and reward, aspect...Imagine the drama, with a player that only has 4 discs ,in his or her bag, leading the event, with 4 holes left to go, and the spectators knew it also.2 putters 1 midrange, and a roller disc, now lets see how good you are ,with less weapons....My 2 cents after starbucks.... ;)fly18