sbrown
Jul 21 2008, 02:15 PM
We have just moved back a tee on one of our Par 4's adding almost 200' with a blind tee shot over a hill. It is nice for us to take advantage of elevation cahnge in the Lowcountry of SC.

Any opinions on blind shots?....It is only a blind shot once, right? Note: You get a view of the entire 15th fairway(hole w/ blind tee shot) from the 14th tee.

All input appreciated.

Come check out The Sarge....One mile off Exit 8 (I95) in SC

Steve

cgkdisc
Jul 21 2008, 02:32 PM
If a blind landing area is necessary for a par 4 or par 5, the landing area should be more liberal than one you can see. By liberal, I mean cut bigger if mowing needed and minimal schule in comparison to perhaps other areas of the course where you can see. Not a good idea to have hazards like water or steep drop offs in a blind position. Now, if the water is beyond the intended landing area, then that's a little better because that provides a risk/rewrd element for a player trying to bite off more than the designer intended.

Another aspect that makes the blind landing area work better is if there's a visual reference point in the distance like a tall tree or even a bush on the ground just before the crest that roughly provides the center line for lining up your drive.

davidsauls
Jul 22 2008, 12:08 PM
If by blind you mean that from the tee you can't see where the disc will land....many holes with doglegs or elevation are blind. Biggest concern is that the landing area is clear enough that you don't spend a lot of time searching for discs. If there is also OB, it's sometimes a problem if you can't tell where the throw passed into OB.

If by blind you mean you can't see the fairway or tell where your throw should go unless you've played it before, or walk halfway up the fairway....that's fine for locals but a bit tiring for those of us who try to play a lot of new courses.

From your description, it's not a blind hole where the basket is reachable from the tee. These can be exciting on ace runs (Earlewood #15).

Having not made it to the Sarge yet---and I've been trying---I wonder if, with a rare hill in that part of the world, it's not suitable for a pin placement?

In general, I see nothing wrong with blind holes---if it's fun to play, go for it!