mtreat
Jan 07 2011, 01:44 PM
I am looking for opinions as to where a tee sign should be located in relation to the tee pad.

Thanks...

cgkdisc
Jan 07 2011, 01:58 PM
Typically at least 5 feet left from the front left edge of the tee pad. But if they are the DGA style signs where the graphics go sideways, I would put it on the left or right side of the tee depending on which direction players will be coming from the previous hole so they can see the sign facing them as they approach the tee.

mtreat
Jan 07 2011, 04:04 PM
Interesting. We have typically placed them at the back of the pads..

Thanks Chuck!!

cgkdisc
Jan 07 2011, 04:23 PM
So many players run up onto the pad even from severe sideways angles that it seems the best place to keep tee signs out of the way is at the front edge or even past the front edge of the tee and far enough from either side. With many more righties than lefties, the left side is partly preferred for that reason. People also read from left to right so having the consistent position on the left allows players to look at the sign and naturally move their eyes to the right to reference the tee sign graphics with what they see looking down the fairway.

mtreat
Jan 07 2011, 06:18 PM
That makes sense. Funny how geographcial location affects things like that.

Now for some serious thread drift, how do I get the course SSA's for Oklahoma.

I am the state coordinator and I would love to have that info...

cgkdisc
Jan 07 2011, 06:42 PM
http://www.pdga.com/course-ratings-by-course

mtreat
Jan 07 2011, 06:58 PM
Awesome, thank you sir..

I know what I will be doing this weekend!!

august
Jan 12 2011, 02:46 PM
Not to take anything away from Chuck's very good advice, but I would resist placing signs beyond the front edge of the tee pad as they may be considered a sight distraction. Possibly even a stance obstruction if your tee shot is really bad! Ultimately though, that point is a matter of personal taste. The main objectives for me in this task have been to place them so they can be seen from the path from the previous hole and as close as possible to the tee pad without being in the way of players who like to approach from the severe angles Chuck mentions, as well as the more traditional approach from directly behind the pad. That way, players can review the sign on the way to the pad. Realize though, that may not be possible or desireable on every hole.

I also feel that installing them at a height somewhere between the hip and knee results in a much more elagant look that at face height. Signs placed at this height will need to be angled for ease of review. For me, signs that are at face height and 90 degrees to the ground are not very inviting as they obstruct the panorama of what should be a beautiful setting. I know that probably sounds esoteric, but in many cases, it's the small details that make the difference between a good course and a great one. For an example of this, check out the course reviews for New Quarter Park in Williamsburg/York County Virginia (a course that Chuck helped me with!).

keithjohnson
Jan 12 2011, 11:32 PM
I put the ones at the newly redesigned Wills Park parallel to the tee pads and 5-6 feet to the right and 2-3 feet from the front - allowing the Hammocks (running up from 45 degree angles 3 feet from the back of the pad) and the Foleys (flailing off the front of the pads sideways like they were hit by a sweeper arm on Wipeout) to both be able to see the signs and not have them interfere. They are also all on right side on EVERY hole for continuity and eye level as they are USDGC caddy book quality graphic pictures of each hole -allowing you to look at them and then down the fairway, while also being unobtrusive to the park and with the signs near or close to trees but still very visible when coming from previous basket postions - which have the GREAT NexTee products attached to the poles! Next tee distances are also on the signs for ease of following the course flow.

bgiggey
Dec 20 2011, 12:09 PM
Tee signs should be on the opposite side of where you approach the tee. If you come from the left, tee signs should be in the back right. Approximately 5' from the tee pad works. They should never be in the front of the tee pad due to that is your throwing zone. You wouldn't want to whip a great shot and crush your hand against a tee sign. The sign should remain in the back corner, facing where you approach the tee pad from. Then when you stand on the tee, you can quickly look over your shoulder and see the intended flight path right before you throw.

keithjohnson
Dec 20 2011, 07:24 PM
You are completely misguided on tee signs being placed near the back of the pad - more people run up from all angles (both as left hand and right handed players) - making it impossible to put them "out of the way" for everyone behind the tee.

If you or ANYONE is following through 5-6 feet to the side of the tee and 2-3 feet from the fornt of the tee -I would say you are in the .00000001% of Disc Golfers that throw running sideways across the tee and then doing a 360 reverse turnaround and throwing with their back to the hole following through and running back to high five their friends at the back of the tee as they release thier disc.

Some people unfortunately will take your advice about using the back side of the tee as the place to put the signs thereby causing more courses to have obstacles to approching the tee pad.

Thanks for nothing.
:(

eupher61
Dec 28 2011, 12:38 AM
No matter where you put them, please make them consistent from one tee to another. Left side front, right side back, middle of the pad...whatever the location, do it on ALL the tees. That way there is little question about which way the pad faces. There are some courses where a pad is in the middle of a field with other baskets all around, and absolutely no way of knowing which way to throw, because every sign has been in a different place relative to the tee and basket.

I do agree, well off to the side and not quite at the front of the pad is a fairly safe bet. There will always be someone to complain. Maybe not knee height, but maybe 3' up so it's below shoulder height for a 5'6" person, too. Not everyone falls into that category, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

bruce_brakel
Dec 28 2011, 09:28 AM
If you want your tee signs to be ripped to shreds by dope smoking chuckers, put them somewhere near the tee. If your tee sign is going to be anywhere near the tee, it needs to be absolutely indestructible, like a 100 pound painted rock.

quickdisc
Dec 28 2011, 06:51 PM
I do like the 1000 pound Rock Idea.

tkieffer
Dec 29 2011, 11:35 AM
Even if its indestructable, they'll start writing on it. Adding nice creative bits of 'new paint'.

bgiggey
May 05 2012, 12:43 PM
You are completely misguided on tee signs being placed near the back of the pad - more people run up from all angles (both as left hand and right handed players) - making it impossible to put them "out of the way" for everyone behind the tee.

If you or ANYONE is following through 5-6 feet to the side of the tee and 2-3 feet from the fornt of the tee -I would say you are in the .00000001% of Disc Golfers that throw running sideways across the tee and then doing a 360 reverse turnaround and throwing with their back to the hole following through and running back to high five their friends at the back of the tee as they release thier disc.

Some people unfortunately will take your advice about using the back side of the tee as the place to put the signs thereby causing more courses to have obstacles to approching the tee pad.

Thanks for nothing.
:(

That's strange considering Innova has multiple installation specifications that locate it back there.

hueyman2
Jan 09 2013, 12:50 PM
In front of the pad is best. Off to the left or right.
1. you can see what you are throwing and the distance without having to get back off the pad.

2. A good distance in front at a diagonal from the pad eliminates issues where signs or posts are in the way of runups.
3. People kick the first thing they see when they throw a bad shot. I have seen tons of foot prints on signs. Location close to the tee or at the back of the pad leads to destroyed signs.
4. signs at the back of the pad are drawn on by players while they wait at back ups or for other people to throw.
5. People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

I think signs are best viewed from the pad (which means you can view them from behind the pad too)

keithjohnson
Jan 09 2013, 11:08 PM
Almost word for word of what I said 2 years ago and 8 posts ago in this thread. :)

hueyman2
Jan 10 2013, 04:30 PM
Not similar at all really, and I used bullets to separate different thoughts. You used 2 full paragraphs to cover bullets 1 & 2 and didnt mention 3,4 &5.

Maybe your "Foley's" kind of addresses them, but you appear to be referencing a safety issue of falling off the pad, I'm addressing 3 different vandalism concerns that should be noted when you decide to place a tee sign.

Also, I wouldn't suggest picking 1 side of the tee and always putting it there. You can approach a tee pad from a number of different angles. In addition there are a number of reasons when installing the post to choose 1 side or the other.

:-)

keithjohnson
Jan 10 2013, 08:00 PM
Then you missed reading post 11 where I explained some more the rest of what you wrote.

Key word in yesterday post was "ALMOST".

I mentioned in my original post why one side was advantageous- if you have signs all over around the teeing areas - then your teeing areas aren't designed well enough - because that means something is in front of your teepad which would be worse than placing a sign there.

I'm referencing the safety issue of a tee sign that obstructs run ups (for those that do) or is in the reach of during follow through.

By the way - Bullet points are for for school and work papers that get turned in for credit. Run on paragraphs are a lot easier for Disc Golfers to understand. :)

Whatever works for the designers WITHOUT putting tee signs BEHIND or to the sides of the actual teeing surface - is all I really care about as a player because they get in the way of the vast majority of golfers in those places.

Keith

PS..... Take a look at the hole of the day holes on DGCR and you'll see almost everyday a sign literally a foot from some part of the tee or right in the runup area.

hueyman2
Jan 11 2013, 08:58 AM
We should write the rule book in run on sentences then. Chuck would have to answer far less questions. Aesthetically (sp?) I prefer to have the sign visible as you walk up the transition from the previous hole. If you come from the right, it's on the left, etc.

I've dug hundreds of post holes and there are a number of things other than bad design that change my mind on post location. If the entire course is right side 8' forward 4' right and you have a walking path kind of along that side, Im going to put it on the left. Kids can never stay on the path on their bikes. So I would choose to keep it as far away from the path as possible. Then you have ground that just isn't easily dug in. Anything that keeps the signs forward and off to the side, whatever that side is, is OK with me.

Sorry I used so much punctuation :-)

Martin_Bohn
Jan 11 2013, 12:42 PM
Then you missed reading post 11 where I explained some more the rest of what you wrote.

Key word in yesterday post was "ALMOST".

I mentioned in my original post why one side was advantageous- if you have signs all over around the teeing areas - then your teeing areas aren't designed well enough - because that means something is in front of your teepad which would be worse than placing a sign there.

I'm referencing the safety issue of a tee sign that obstructs run ups (for those that do) or is in the reach of during follow through.

By the way - Bullet points are for for school and work papers that get turned in for credit. Run on paragraphs are a lot easier for Disc Golfers to understand. :)

Whatever works for the designers WITHOUT putting tee signs BEHIND or to the sides of the actual teeing surface - is all I really care about as a player because they get in the way of the vast majority of golfers in those places.

Keith

PS..... Take a look at the hole of the day holes on DGCR and you'll see almost everyday a sign literally a foot from some part of the tee or right in the runup area.

Boy i cant wait to argue about this in vegas with you.
tee signs, or anything in front of the tee pad is the stupidist thing you can do.
tee signs should be placed behind the tee pad. period.
i will agree with you that they shouldnt be part of the tee pad, or even close to the tee pad for whatever reason you want to expound, BUT not ever in front where it will create a distraction.
heres one big reason why:
eagle scout project, from someone who doesnt get it, installs 18 tee signs. 9 are on the side and in the front of the tee pad and 9 are behind the teepad in various positions. in one year ALL NINE IN FRONT of the tee pad were kicked over and stomped on by the general public and the ones in the back were left alone.
for that reason alone you shouldnt put them in front. :)
ok keith..... see you in vegas.... woohooo....

hueyman2
Jan 11 2013, 04:56 PM
Disagree totally, and there are a lot of courses where signs are installed poorly, thats not the point. If you install them correctly with a deep enough hole, 20lbs of crete, and off to the left or right of the tee, I doubt you would see much damage. If you are weak minded enough that a tee sign 10' forward and 6' right distracts you...you must be a pro.

Go get him Keith!

keithjohnson
Jan 11 2013, 10:16 PM
Boy i cant wait to argue about this in vegas with you.
tee signs, or anything in front of the tee pad is the stupidist thing you can do.
tee signs should be placed behind the tee pad. period.
i will agree with you that they shouldnt be part of the tee pad, or even close to the tee pad for whatever reason you want to expound, BUT not ever in front where it will create a distraction.
heres one big reason why:
eagle scout project, from someone who doesnt get it, installs 18 tee signs. 9 are on the side and in the front of the tee pad and 9 are behind the teepad in various positions. in one year ALL NINE IN FRONT of the tee pad were kicked over and stomped on by the general public and the ones in the back were left alone.
for that reason alone you shouldnt put them in front. :)
ok keith..... see you in vegas.... woohooo....

In my best Tom Hanks voice...........

There's no arguing in Vegas!

2-3 feet forward and 5-6 ft to the right does NOT cause a distraction unless you are looking for one - You should be looking down the fairway towards your target. :)

I'll be happy to stand as a Tsign (as in my location where placed) when I see you and if I distract you - you can treat me like the general public in your response. :)

You can stand behind the pad as your idea, and I'll show you what I do to Tsigns placed there. :)

See you in less than 6 weeks!!